Saturday, December 8, 2012

Portraits


          A good portrait is more than a snapshot of somebody. It has to do much more than just show what the person looks like. A portrait should give the viewer a glimpse of the person's character, and also maybe a sense of how the photographer sees the subject.


     
  I like to make candid portraits. Many people really are more themselves when they are not too consciously posed. If they are busy doing something else, it's easier to get a good shot. This is a portrait of my oldest son, who does not like to pose. Here, he is concentrating intently on a book. The lighting on one side of his face creates a nice shadow. The elimination of any background clutter makes the mood of the photograph calm and reflective. He is a journalist and blogger, so he reads a lot. This portrait is expressive of his character.





                   It's helpful to follow the rule of thirds when you're composing a portrait. As was demonstrated in that lesson, if you put the eyes at one of the grid intersections, it makes for a more compelling picture. My sister-in-law knew I had my camera out, but it takes me so long to get my settings right that by the time I took her picture she had forgotten about it.
                   I used a very shallow depth of field here to make the background as blurred as possible.
She is a thoughtful, gentle person with such a sweet nature, and I think that shows in her portrait.
















     
  A portrait can be the whole person; it does not have to be just a face. (I need to remember that - I usually only photograph faces.) My youngest son had just graduated from boot camp here. A tight face close up would have shown his happiness and pride, but without his uniform it would have lacked context.







On the other hand, a portrait doesn't necessarily have to be taken from the front! This is my son's drill sergeant. The sharp diagonal of his hat brim creates a sense of movement even though he is standing still, and the total lack of background intensifies the drama.


                  
              I made this picture of a good friend who had just finished recording a CD. He needed a photograph for the back cover. I took many pictures that day, snapping away while he played and sang. This was the one he chose. I like the grainy look of it, and the way the guitar is suggested but not over-emphasized.
 

Here is my favorite subject - my niece.

         I was using the zoom lens so I wasn't really that close to her, but she knew I was taking her picture. This doesn't follow the rule of thirds, but here I really wanted to show her quality of direct confidence, and putting her dead center supports that feeling. I love the impish expression!

These are also my niece. The lighting was really good that day - just right for capturing the translucent perfection of a child's skin.


Finally, here is one truly posed portrait. I could have made this picture of my nephew better by widening the aperture - I wish I had. But the background color is harmonious and the brick pattern is okay. What I like about this shot is that his smile is so genuine - this picture shows someone who is generally good-natured and ready for a laugh.


So, that's what I've learned about taking portraits: use the rule of thirds (most of the time) and the guidelines of good composition. Think about backgrounds or lack of them. Get in close. Black and white sometimes helps to establish a mood. And try to catch the essence of the subject's character or the mood of the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Peggy, I love your portraits! Your use of lighting and the rule of thirds is amazing!

    ReplyDelete